Monday, September 16, 2013

     I've had a busy weekend playing with blogger; adding a video and an image. Couldn't figure out how to make the pic smaller. Is there any way to do that?
     I really enjoyed my previous two on-line classes, but I'm finding some frustration with this one. Week one, I watched and rewatched Ken's Jing about starting a blog. I watched it again. My screen looked nothing like his. (Ken addressed this issue, thanks. Of course, there are different set-ups depending on browser.) Being a blog-virgin, I spent gobs of time exploring. Perhaps, I would have had more success with direct instruction. Just a thought. I'm not whining, but this experience reminds of research I did when our district instituted Investigations. Referrals to special ed math tripled and I found many studies that proved some kids, especially those with language based learning disabilities, are ineffective learners with inquiry-based programs. Sometimes direct instruction works best.

     I could also be having trouble because I'm constantly multi-tasking. Perhaps helping my son, Kee, with his Algebra homeworking as the stuffed shells heated on the stove was not the optimal time to learn something new. And the call from my neighbor, well, that was over the top, especially when I had to run outside to look for the dog.  Like the students in the Frontline report, I was surprised to learn that we don't do as well multi-tasking. Really. I feel the only time I'm not multi-tasking is when I'm sleeping. I was also surprised to hear that distractions do not lead to creativity. Don't most inventors daydream?
     I am not alone in my struggles with new technology. It's been a problem throughout the ages. Please open the attached video, if you haven't seen it already or even if you have. It's funny the second and third time. thanks


1 comment:

  1. Seen this multiple, multiple times, but still find watching it irresistible. Thanks, Patti.

    ReplyDelete